Select a category to explore Evernow’s Frequently Asked Questions.

    Prescription estradiol/norethindrone pill

    What it is: Estradiol/norethindrone is a combination pill that includes estrogen and progesterone. It’s effective at treating and even eliminating symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats and vaginal dryness–and it even helps with osteoporosis.

    An estradiol/norethindrone combination pill is prescribed if you have a uterus and choose natural hormone therapy. You may find this more convenient than taking two separate pills (estradiol and progesterone) or both using an estradiol patch and taking a progesterone pill.

    How it works: Taken orally, the combination pill provides you with more convenience than remembering to take two different types of medication. Like oral estradiol, it’s associated with a slight increase in risk of venous thromboembolism and stroke compared to transdermal estradiol.

    What the research says: A study found that 85% of women using a estradiol/norethindrone pill reported adequate relief of moderate to severe hot flashes at four and 12 weeks in the trial.

    Brand name: Activella; Evernow uses the generic estradiol/norethindrone below:

    Range of dosage: 0.5mg estradiol /0.1mg norethindrone / one tab orally a day

    1 mg estradiol / 0.5 mg norethindrone / one tab orally a day

    Safety information: If you have a history of breast cancer or other estrogen-sensitive cancers, or have had a hysterectomy, coronary heart or artery disease, a previous clot or stroke or vaginal bleeding that has not been evaluated by a physician, an estradiol/norethindrone pill may not be for you. You should speak to your in-person care provider to determine your best treatment options. To learn more about the risks and benefits of estradiol/norethindrone and to read the boxed warning, see this Activella safety information.

    Disclaimer: This information isn’t a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any questions or concerns, please talk to your doctor.